Coronavirus Australia live news: Victoria considers adding quarantine hotels ahead of more international arrivals
Victoria is looking to add new quarantine hotels By Leonie Thorne The Victorian Government is looking…
Victoria is looking to add new quarantine hotels
By Leonie Thorne
The Victorian Government is looking at adding new hotels to its mandatory quarantine program as it prepares to allow more international arrivals into the state each week.
There has been a cap of 1,120 overseas arrivals per week since December 7, when the state re-booted its hotel quarantine after a months-long hiatus due to the second wave.
Premier Daniel Andrews last week flagged that number would be increased “very soon” in order to allow more Australian residents who were stranded overseas to get home.
Few details of how Victoria would accommodate the additional arrivals have been announced, but the State Government today confirmed it could add new hotels to the program.
“The Victorian Government is currently considering a range of options to expand mandatory quarantine – including new hotels – to allow more oversees Victorians to return home safely,” a government spokesperson said in a statement.
“The number of required sites will vary depending on whatever the new arrivals cap is set at, as well as individual building capacity.
“Details of the new hotels will be announced once the expansion plans have been finalised.”
Mr Andrews has said the number of international arrivals allowed into the state each week is unaffected by the Australian Open or seasonal workers.
“I’ll have announcements to make soon, and I have agreements with the Prime Minister about us doing more, and that’s only fair, and we will have more than the numbers that are coming back now,” he said on Monday.