Quick Take: With no annual fee, the Capital One Quicksilver credit card offers cashback rewards and an introductory 0% annual percentage rate for 18 months on all purchases. You need an excellent credit score to qualify, so this card is not for everyone, but it’s a great pick for avid travelers who want to earn cashback rewards because there are no foreign transaction fees.
- Cashback Rewards
- Welcome Bonus
- Account Benefits
How did we calculate this?
- 1.5% unlimited cash back on all purchases
- No foreign transaction fee
- No expiration on rewards
- 0% intro APR for 18 months
- Rewards can be redeemed for cash
- Requires an excellent credit score
- No bonus categories to increase reward earnings
About Capital One Quicksilver Credit Card
The Capital One Quicksilver credit card is available only to people with excellent credit scores. Its wide range of cardholder benefits and perks makes it a good option for those who qualify.
Here’s how it does in terms of rewards, fees and other important aspects.
Cardholders can earn unlimited 1.5% cash back every day. Unlike other cards that limit cash back with purchase eligibility requirements, the Capital One Quicksilver credit card rewards every purchase.
You can redeem your Capital One rewards for cash or a statement credit, or use them with PayPal and apply them at millions of e-commerce stores or use them to pay for your Amazon purchases. Besides shopping perks, you also get access to VIP concert and sporting event tickets, five-star meals and other experiences.
A slight shortcoming of the unlimited 1.5% cashback offering is that you don’t get any bonus rewards in specific categories, such as dining, travel or entertainment. Rather, you earn the same low cashback rate on every purchase.
There’s no annual fee for the Capital One Quicksilver credit card. Moreover, new members enjoy 0% APR for 18 months on balance transfers and purchases — longer than the standard 12 months.
After this period, there’s a 14.99% to 24.99% variable APR. There is also a 3% fee on any amount you transferred within the first 18 months of opening your account.
Although the low intro APR and no annual fee are attractive perks, the high standard APR and transfer fee make this card relatively expensive if you carry a balance.
For travelers who use their credit cards outside the U.S., the lack of foreign transaction fees may make the other rates worth it.
New cardholders get one-time $200 cash bonuses after spending $500 on purchases within three months of opening their accounts.
Here are some account benefits that make Capital One Quicksilver suitable for people who need their credit card to do more than just pay for things.
- Travel Assistance: Cardholders receive 24-hour travel assistance. If your card gets stolen or lost during travel, Capital One will provide an emergency replacement along with a cash advance.
- Complimentary Concierge: Capital One Quicksilver cardholders get personalized and comprehensive assistance with travel, entertainment and dining plans throughout the year. However, this service is available only for select merchants and is subject to merchant terms and conditions.
- Travel Accident Insurance: If you purchase a fare with your Capital One Quicksilver credit card, you automatically qualify for insurance that covers travel accident-related losses at no extra expense.
- Shopping: Capital One’s designated online shopping tool can be added to your Chrome browser as an extension and will automatically apply available coupon codes to your order. The tool also shows the best prices available for any product on top retailers’ websites. All you need to do is search for the product directly or scan the product’s barcode. It keeps track of the items you’ve previously purchased and viewed and will alert you in the event of a price drop.
Apart from rewards and bonuses, this credit card offers some other notable benefits.
Eno is Capital One’s virtual assistant. It monitors cardholders’ accounts 24/7 and sends instant notifications if it detects something is wrong. Along with keeping an eye on any unusual charges to the cardholder’s account, Eno also helps track spending.
It sends useful insights about recurring charges and free trials that might be able to save you money. You can use it to:
- Request an overview of your accounts
- Pay your bills
- Check your balance
- Lock or unlock your account
- Get answers to your account-related questions
Eno will even tell you jokes if you ask. The virtual assistant is available on the Capital One mobile app and can send you notifications by email. You also can reach Eno through Capital One’s desktop browser or by text.
Capital One has notable security features that make its cards even better for travelers, including:
- Security Alerts: Eno sends you a security alert when there is a suspicious transaction on your card.
- $0 Fraud Liability: If your card is reported stolen or lost, you’re not liable for any transactions made on it.
- Card Lock: You can lock your card through the Capital One mobile app if it is stolen or misplaced.
- CreditWise: You get automatic alerts from TransUnion and Experian when your credit report changes.
Good To Know
The Capital One mobile app is your one-stop shop for all card-related activities. You can manage your account from anywhere in the world, pay your bill, make transactions and view your balance. The app is integrated with CreditWise, so you can also stay up to date on any changes to your credit score. The ability to log into the mobile app with facial recognition ensures that no one else will be able to access your financial information.
Who Should Get Capital One Quicksilver?
The Capital One Quicksilver credit card is best for people with high credit scores who like to travel. The Capital One shopping tool, coupled with the cardholder’s ability to apply earned rewards to purchases on Amazon and PayPal, makes it ideal for online shoppers.
Because it doesn’t have any foreign transaction fees and offers 24-hour travel assistance, it would also be a good pick for students studying abroad or people who take frequent business trips.
How Does the Capital One Quicksilver Credit Card Stack Up?
Wells Fargo Active Cash Card
Compared to the competition, the Capital One Quicksilver credit card is impressive. However, if you’re looking for higher cashback rewards, you may want to check out the Wells Fargo Active Cash Card.
It gives unlimited 2% cashback rewards on all purchases and has no annual fee. It offers a 0% intro APR for 15 months, which is not as good as the 18-month offer by Quicksilver.
One drawback of this card is that you have to spend $1,000 in the first three months to get a $200 welcome bonus, whereas you need to spend just $500 to get the same bonus with Capital One Quicksilver.
Capital One Quicksilver’s flat offer of 1.5% cash back on every purchase is good for people who spend uniformly across purchase categories, but it’s not necessarily the best option for cardholders who might spend more on things such as gas or dining out.
American Express Blue Cash Everyday Card
If you mostly use your credit card for department store purchases and groceries, you should check out the Blue Cash Everyday Card from American Express. It offers 3% cash back on up to $6,000 in grocery purchases every year, with 1% cash back after that. Plus, you get 2% cash back on gas and purchases from select US department stores.
Chase Freedom Unlimited Credit Card
If you mainly use your credit card for travel purposes, the Chase Freedom Unlimited credit card is one you should consider. You can earn 5% cash back on travel and 3% cash back on dining, including takeout.
Like Capital One Quicksilver, the Chase Freedom Unlimited card awards a $200 bonus after spending $500 in the first three months of opening your account. It also has no annual fee and offers 0% APR for the first 15 months.
US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card
If you want to get 5% cash back on the two categories of your choice, the US Bank Cash+ Visa Signature Card should be your go-to.
You get 5% cash back on hotels, prepaid airfare and car reservations when you book through the Rewards Travel Center and 5% cash back on the first $2,000 you spend each quarter on the two categories of your choice. There is no annual fee, and you get a 0% intro APR for 15 months.
Is Capital One Quicksilver Right for You?
The Capital One Quicksilver credit card is one of the best rewards credit cards out there since it offers a flat 1.5% cashback reward on all purchases. You can redeem your rewards for purchases through Amazon and PayPal, which gives you the liberty to shop almost anywhere.
The card’s security features and Eno assistant make it easy to use while protecting you from theft and fraud.
The Capital One Quicksilver credit card is probably right for you if you use your cards for a variety of purchases, travel frequently, study abroad or have a high credit score and want to enjoy a 0% intro APR.
Editorial Note: This content is not provided by Capital One. Any opinions, analyses, reviews or recommendations expressed in this article are those of the author alone and have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by Capital One.
Here are the answers to some of the most frequently asked questions regarding Capital One Quicksilver Credit Card.
- What score is needed for Capital One Quicksilver?
- You need an excellent credit score, which FICO defines as 800 or better.
- What type of card is Capital One Quicksilver?
- The Capital One Quicksilver is a simple cashback credit card offering 1.5% on everday purchases.
- Can I upgrade my Capital One card to Quicksilver?
- Yes, if you qualify. If you receive a pre-qualified offer, you can upgrade. Otherwise, you need to call the number on your card to ask whether you qualify or use their online pre-approval check.
- Does Quicksilver have an annual fee?
Is this your bank?
Take Advantage of our Best Offer(s)